Yes! Surprisingly, tooth enamel is the hardest substance in your body! Crazy?
Tooth Enamel Structure
- Highest percentage of minerals, primarily, hydroxyapatite (crystalline calcium phosphate).
- Semi translucent
- Contains two proteins: amelogenins and enamelins
- Soft tissue called dentin (responsible for color and support of enamel)
- Only tissue that is completely acellular
- Forms a protective covering
- Composed of organic and inorganic substances
If your enamel is destroyed, your body does not make more to replace it. Unlike your bones, for example; enamel does not contain any living cells, so it cannot regenerate.